Nasi goreng is a popular Indonesian dish that is not only delicious but also very versatile. It can be made with a variety of ingredients, making it a perfect choice for people who want to enjoy a nutritious meal without spending too much time in the kitchen. In this article, we will explore how to make nasi goreng ala pedagang kaki lima, a street food version of this dish that is both delicious and budget-friendly.
To make nasi goreng ala pedagang kaki lima, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste (terasi)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn)
Now that we have gathered all the ingredients, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making nasi goreng ala pedagang kaki lima:
Step 1: Prep Work
Begin by cooking the rice and letting it cool. It’s best to use day-old rice as it will be less sticky and easier to work with. You can also cook the rice in the morning and let it cool in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Step 2: Sauté the Aromatics
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and diced onion. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic becomes fragrant.
Step 3: Add the Rice
Add the cooked rice to the skillet or wok and stir-fry for a few minutes. Make sure all the rice grains are coated with the aromatic mixture.
Step 4: Flavor it Up
In a small bowl, mix the sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, shrimp paste, salt, and pepper. Add this sauce to the skillet or wok and continue stir-frying until the rice is evenly coated with the sauce and the flavors are well combined.
Step 5: Create a Well
Push the rice to one side of the skillet or wok, creating a well in the center. Pour the beaten eggs into the well and scramble them until they are cooked.
Step 6: Add the Vegetables
Add the mixed vegetables to the skillet or wok and stir-fry until they are tender. This will add color, texture, and nutrition to your nasi goreng.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Once everything is cooked, turn off the heat and transfer the nasi goreng to a serving plate. Garnish with some sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and fried shallots if desired. Your delicious nasi goreng ala pedagang kaki lima is now ready to be enjoyed!
Tips and Variations:
– You can add protein to your nasi goreng by including cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
– Feel free to adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences. Add more soy sauce for a saltier flavor or increase the amount of shrimp paste for a stronger umami taste.
– To make it spicy, you can add some chili sauce or chopped fresh chili peppers.
– If you want to make a vegetarian version, simply omit the shrimp paste and add some extra vegetables or tofu instead.
– Nasi goreng is a versatile dish, so feel free to experiment with different ingredients. You can add sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, or even pineapple for a unique twist.
– Don’t forget to serve your nasi goreng with some sambal, a popular Indonesian chili sauce, if you like it spicy!
Nasi goreng ala pedagang kaki lima is not only a delicious and satisfying meal but also a great option for busy individuals who are looking for a quick and easy yet nutritious dish. By using ingredients that are easily available and budget-friendly, you can enjoy a homemade meal without breaking the bank. So, why not give this recipe a try and indulge in the flavors of Indonesian street food right in your own kitchen?